Sunday, April 15, 2007

Del Monte Energy Bloom

I can only affectionately refer to Coke Black as "Coke Crack." Red Bull tastes like shit and, according to my personal trainer, can even give you a heart attack. Never drink that crap pre-workout. It's amazing how many people don't know that.

Do you have any idea how much coffee I have subsisted on this past week? Weak and exhausted from last weekend's car accident and stressed out from school, I sucked down cups of black coffee and even a Starbuck's mocha (soymilk, natch). I may be a Hippy Shopping Chick/health nut/vegan/fitness freak, but I am not immune to the power of caffiene. I need it right now. Life is too demanding and I haven't been working out (beacuse of my chiropractor's orders post-accident) so I feel a definite energy drain.

But I think I'm sick of coffee today.

I stopped at Aj's Fine Foods this morning on my way to my airshift at 98-7 The Peak. I selected a couple Kern's Nectar drinks to pop in the nasty station fridge, but then sought out something already cold and full of energy I could guzzle. I found something new. It's called Del Monte Energy Bloom and I bought the mango passionfruit flavor.

The Details:

Disclaimer: I have no idea how this stacks up nutritionally. Just passing on what's on the label!

"One full serving of fruit"
"Calcium"
"B vitamins"
"Antioxidant rich"
"White tea extract"
"Lightly carbonated"

The stuff is tasty. It's like mixing juice with some lightly carbonated water. So it doesn't have that nasty chemical taste of other energy drinks like that Red Bull stuff. The cashier at AJ's told me they just got it in Friday.

The paragraph still lists a littany of ingredients like any frankenfood would...carbonated water, chemicals, fruit juice concentrates, etc.

It boasts 100 cal; 115mg sodium; 24g carbs; 20g sugars; 10% vitamin A and Calcium; 100% niacin, riboflvain, B12, & B6; 10% vitamin D, 20% vitamin E, and 100% pantothenic acid. What is that? Vitamin B5, of course.

The can also says, "One 8 oz. serving of Bloom Energy Drink provids 1/2 cup of fruit. The USDA My Pyramid recommends a daily intake of 2 cups of fruit a day for a 2,000-calorie diet." The can also reads it's 50% juice.

You get 10.5 oz of beverage, which I paid $1.99 for. Red Bull costs much more and tastes shittier. I think I'll be buying a lot of Bloom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home